Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Seal Island trip

Gloria and Daniel at Hout Bay, as we wander through the stalls waiting for our Seal Island cruise

A band of older men perform for disembarking cruise passengers (this is the boat of our voyage, also). One of the band members was missing a hand and the other was badly deformed. But they were a cheerful bunch, and I could appreciate the fact that they were earning a living instead of begging, so I didn't  mind tossing a few rand into the hat as I walked by.
Daniel, like Jonah, exploring the bowels of the ship. I found up on the bow of the ship more exciting,  as that was where the most action was in the tossing of the vessel in the waves.

Seal island itself. The seals ignored us totally, except for maybe cavorting more energetically. The group of Chinese (I could tell they were Chinese, because I caught "sheh sheh" a few times, the word for "Thank you") businessmen enjoyed Danielito and Connie, crowding around with their cameras and laughing. Danielito was scared and wanted to go to bed, but Connie enjoyed it all, with nary a queasy moment.
Food court African style, exotic and noisy. You have to grab a seat right away, and then one of your group goes and picks food for everybody. Gloria and I had baguettes, with spicy sauces, and for dessert I had an eclair; South African desserts are not as sweet as ours, so there is less guilt involved when one indulges, although one bulges nonetheless.
Here is the food court mime, near our table. He held quite still  most of the time,  but when he moved, he did it with the jerky motions of an early robot. He looked like a silver Wacko Jacko, so he creeped me out. As we walked past, I pretty much forgot him, but he reached out and grabbed my hand; I shook it, but wouldn't look at him. I wasn't in the mood to fork out for him, and I knew he was playing mime games with me.

Like these chairs? I thought they were cool. Actually, cool in more than one way.

Connie showing off her gymnastic skills, dressed  as a happy jailbird.

1 comment:

  1. super easy reading and interesting photos...I loved the cruise ship. Baguettes and spicy sauces...Joy, were those stools made of tires? And the doilies on top, were they plastic or something more substantial?
    That mime (playing 'mime' games with you) would have creeped me out, as well.
    I have only one tiny request...will the author of this blog please include some pictures of herself in her next post? ")

    ReplyDelete